posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:44 PM by Anjuan Simmons
updated Jul 12, 2016, 1:39 PM
I just transferred my domains from GoDaddy
to Google Domains
. I was invited to join the Google Domains Beta, and I am quite pleased to leave GoDaddy behind. Here's why I made the switch:
- While some dislike Google for the amount of private information they hoarde, I use many of their products and services from my Android phone to hosting for my websites.
- The GoDaddy web interface is hard for me to navigate. Google Domains provides a simple and clean interface.
- GoDaddy's private registration (which hides personal data from WHOIS) was through a third party with a different web interface. Google Domains uses a third party as well, but turning private registration on and off is done through the simple toggle of two radio buttons.
- GoDaddy charged for private registration while it's free with Google Domains.
- Google Domains charges me $12.00 per year for each domain. GoDaddy was all over the place with pricing and never as low as $12.00.
One important reason I made the switch was GoDaddy's exploitation of female sexuality in their advertisements. We've all seen their Super Bowl commericals, and I'm glad to do business with a domain registrar that doesn't use sex to sell their products.