I started speaking at technology conferences in 2009 when I gave a talk at Podcamp Houston 2009 about "Restoring Tech Cred to Houston" (http://www.slideshare.net/anjuan/podcamp-houston-v2). This helped me realize that, in addition to my career in technology, I could speak about topics that I'm passionate about: social media, leadership, design, and diversity.
I continued to give internal technical talks at client sites in my professional career about topics including project management and Agile software development. I earned a spot at South by Southwest Interactive in Austin for the first time in March 2010 when my co-panelist and I discussed "How Social Media Can Destroy Your Business Model": http://www.slideshare.net/anjuan/how-social-media-can-destroy-your-business-model-final
I have spoken at South By Southwest Interactive three additional times:
• "Star Trek UX|UI Rules for Phones, Tablets, and TVs", http://www.sxsw.com/interactive/news/2014/2014-sxsw-interactive-session-spotlight-star-trek-uxui-rules-phones-tablets, SXSWi 2014, Co-Panelist
• "Race: Know When to Hold It and When to Fold It", http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_IAP13715, Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR12rGLHiqc, Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LojoCRRkrY, SXSWi 2012, Panelist
• "What Comic Books Can Teach Mobile Application Designers", http://lanyrd.com/2011/sxsw/scqyc/, SXSWi 2011, Solo Panelist
I've also spoken at other technology related conferences:
• "Debugging Diversity", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDAnWK--PT8, codeconf 2015 (http://codeconf.com/), Speaker
• "The State of Black Social Media", Black Social Media Summit 2013 (http://bloggingwhilebrown.com/black-social-media-summit/), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn02khvE0ZE, Panelist
• "Three Careers Strategies for Minorities in Business ", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIu2--YvzJ0, Texas A&M Mays Business School, Diversity Weekend 2012 (http://mays.tamu.edu/full-time-mba/opportunities-to-learn-more/diversity-leadership-forum-weekend/), Presenter
I have an MBA and have also given several business related talks including:
• "Effective Negotiating", http://www.slideshare.net/anjuan/effective-negotiating, Speaker Series 2013, Sam Houston State University, Presenter and Panelist
• "Hitting the Public Speaking Circuit for Fun and Profit", Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFF6s7-aYLc, Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZLM-WJCPOE, Blogging While Brown 2011, Speaker
One of my key goals in 2016 is to speak at more technology conferences. I want to continue to speak about design and diversity, but I also want to speak more about Agile development and leadership since most of my talks in those areas have been behind corporate walls. I also want to have more of my talks recorded since I have very few videos of my presentations.