A friend recently asked about things to do in Maui, and, since my family was just there a few months ago, here's my reply to her:
I wanted to share the list of places my family and I visited in Maui when we went a few months ago. I hope it's helpful for your upcoming trip.
* I'm not sure where you're staying, but you'll probably drive a lot. If you're not staying in Lahaina (on the West side of Maui), then you will probably drive to Lahaina often.
* If you like nice pools and beaches, then the resort hotels in Lahaina are a great option for you. We wandered from hotel pool to hotel pool, and no one harassed us or asked if we were guests. Several hotels have spas if you're into that sort of thing. :-)
* Whale season had ended so Maui had just started letting water activity companies (wave riders, para-sailing, etc.) resume operations when we were there. If you're into water sports, then they may still be available if whale season hasn't started again by the time you travel to Maui.
* We started the "road to Hana", but my wife gets car-sick fairly easily and the switchbacks were too much for her. So, we had to turn back. Also, Hana is on the East side of Maui so the road is usually a cloudy and rainy drive to a cloudy and rainy part of the island. If you don't mind road trips (where you sometimes fear for your life), then it may be worth doing. If you do try the road to Hana, stopping every few miles and hiking or visiting one of the beaches is a good use of the time you'll invest in the trip. Hana is the destination but the journey is the point.
* There are certainly more restaurants and places than I listed below. These are simply the food establishments and locations that I personally experienced and enjoyed.
* Da Kitchen (very close to the airport; not a bad place to have your first meal in Maui; large portions - 425 Koloa St. #104 Kahului, HI 96732)
* Mama's Fish House (expensive but great food, location, and atmosphere - 799 Poho Pl, Paia, HI)
* Flatbread Company (great natural pizza; near the airport - 89 Hana Highway, Paia, Maui, HI)
* Dazoo (71 Baldwin Ave, Paia, HI 96779)
* Ululani's Shaved Ice (I recommend trying a Hawaiian shaved ice at least once if you've never had one - 819 Front St, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761)
* Kimo's Restaurant (845 Front St, Ste a, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761)
* Koa's Seaside Grill (839 Front Street, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761)
* Maui Ocean Center (a surprisingly good aquarium)